Prep 8 mins
Cook 17 mins
This dish was inspired by Vote_for_Pedro's White Bean & Spinach Soup. Like the original, this is quick, easy and full of flavor. It makes a nice dinner for 4 served with a good salad or it can be a starting course and serve more. Use 3 or 4 cups of broth according to how thick you like your soups or how much liquid your pasta absorbs.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced
- 1 shallot, finely diced
- 3 -4 cups fat free chicken broth or 3 -4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can white beans (cannellini or other)
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat pasta shells or 1⁄2 cup shell pasta
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- 3 cups Baby Spinach, cleaned and trimmed
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 dash crushed red pepper flakes
- In a large sauce pan, sautee the shallots & garlic in the olive oil.
- Add broth, tomatoes, beans and rosemary to pot. Season with black and red pepper. Bring to boil.
- Add pasta and cook 12 minutes. If the soup seems too thick for your liking add a bit more broth.
- Add spinach and cook until wilted.
This soup was awesome!!! My kids and I made it for lunch with my Dad.
We all loved it. We agreed there was way too much pasta, but we ended up putting more in than the recipe called for. We also added a bag of chicken strips, and decided next time to double the chicken and decrease the amount of pasta. We did not use the rosemary but added oregano instead. I thought the white beans totally made the dish myself. We also added in diced zucchini. Hey anytime you can sneak in some extra veggies, you gotta do it.
We have really enjoyed this soup both times we've made it. It's also so easy to make and that makes me happy. :) I do sub basil for rosemary because I'm not really a rosemary fan, but otherwise I make it as is, put a little cheese on top and it's delicious!
What a great soup! DH was not thrilled when he found out we were having soup for dinner but he loved it! He requested that a make a big batch and freeze it for easy lunches. This is going into my (currently very small) collection of OAMC. Made as directed except cut the amount of rosemary in half and also used 2 inch long broken up pieces of whole wheat spaghetti. Worked out really well. I served this with my homemade french bread and some fruity olive oil drizzled on top. Thank you so much!!