Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
Delicious chicken broth soup made with cannellini beans, small pasta and escarole. This is super good!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced small
- 1 small carrot, diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 red potatoes, diced
- 1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup water
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can cannellini beans
- 2⁄3 cup tubetti (any small macaroni will do)
- 1⁄2 head escarole, thinly sliced and cooked
- In a 4 quart saucepan, over medium high heat, cook olive oil, onion, carrot, celery and potato until lightly browned, about 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add chicken broth, pepper and water; increase heat to high and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Increase heat to high; stir in beans with their liquid and pasta and heat to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until pasta is done, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in escarole until heated through.
I am SO sick of tomato based soups - so I was VERY excited to find this recipe! My changes were to omit the celery, use fat-free low-sodium broth, add 2 cloves of smashed garlic, and use 2C packed fresh spinach cut into strips. YUMMY YUMMY YUMMY!! Nice thick soup with lots to chew. EXCELLENT healthy & filling dinner w/a bagel & a clementine for dessert! I ate 1 serving last night & individually packaged & froze the remaining 7 servings for future grab'n'go meals. Thanks so much for sharing! PS - when I defrosted my 3rd frozen serving today, I added more water to it to make it soup-ier. I think next time I make this I'll add an extra 1/2C of water....
Absolutely fantastic!! So many vibrant flavors, excellent texture & wholesome! I did use cavatini pasta vs elbows, and just used Italian Seasoning since I didn't have any thyme. Also, I had some pancetta in the fridge so cooked that up as the base vs olive oil. Just added a 12 oz bag of chopped frozen spinach, without thawing - and it was fine. So excited to have some leftovers for tomorrow nite!! NUM!! Thank you!!
Delicious. But I too added fresh thyme,a bay leaf and red pepper flakes.