Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
Delicious chicken broth soup made with cannellini beans, small pasta and escarole. This is super good!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced small
- 1 small carrot, diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 red potatoes, diced
- 1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup water
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can cannellini beans
- 2⁄3 cup tubetti (any small macaroni will do)
- 1⁄2 head escarole, thinly sliced and cooked
- In a 4 quart saucepan, over medium high heat, cook olive oil, onion, carrot, celery and potato until lightly browned, about 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add chicken broth, pepper and water; increase heat to high and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Increase heat to high; stir in beans with their liquid and pasta and heat to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until pasta is done, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in escarole until heated through.
I am SO sick of tomato based soups - so I was VERY excited to find this recipe! My changes were to omit the celery, use fat-free low-sodium broth, add 2 cloves of smashed garlic, and use 2C packed fresh spinach cut into strips. YUMMY YUMMY YUMMY!! Nice thick soup with lots to chew. EXCELLENT healthy & filling dinner w/a bagel & a clementine for dessert! I ate 1 serving last night & individually packaged & froze the remaining 7 servings for future grab'n'go meals. Thanks so much for sharing! PS - when I defrosted my 3rd frozen serving today, I added more water to it to make it soup-ier. I think next time I make this I'll add an extra 1/2C of water....
Delicious. But I too added fresh thyme,a bay leaf and red pepper flakes.
We didn't enjoy this soup. It was okay with cheese added but was nothing special for us. Used regular potatoes and no celery.