Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Adapted from Giada De Laurentis. I use yogurt in place of cream, and a few more sage leaves.
Make and share this Tuscan White Bean and Garlic Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 3 sage leaves
- 2 (15 ounce) cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 4 garlic cloves, cut in 1/2
- 1⁄2 cup yogurt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 6 slices ciabatta
- extra virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- Place a medium, heavy soup pot over medium heat.
- Add the butter, olive oil, and shallot.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until the shallots are softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the sage and beans and stir to combine. Add the stock and bring the mixture to a simmer.
- Add the garlic and simmer until the garlic is softened, about 10 minutes. Pour the soup into a large bowl.
- Carefully ladle 1/3 to 1/2 of the soup into a blender and puree until smooth. Be careful to hold the top of the blender tightly, as hot liquids expand when they are blended. Alternatively use a hand blender.
- Pour the blended soup back into the soup pan.
- Puree the remaining soup.
- Once all the soup is blended and back in the soup pan, add the yogurt and the pepper.
- Keep warm, covered, over very low heat.
- FOR THE BREAD:.
- Place a grill pan over medium-high heat.
- Drizzle the slices of ciabatta bread with extra-virgin olive oil.
- Grill the bread until warm and golden grill marks appear, about 3 minutes a side.
- Serve the soup in bowls with the grilled bread alongside.