Recipe by theAmateurPastryChef
This is from Vegan Planet. I made it last night and it was excellent. I would describe it as a very elegant stew. The subtle hint of orange gives it a refined taste.
Top Review by Jane D.
For a healthy vegan stew, this is definitely 5-star. I followed the recipe as written. I fearful that the orange peel would be overpowering but it wasn't. It worked really well and made the dish rather sophisticated. I'll be making this again.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large yellow sweet onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large fennel bulb, trimmed and diced
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1 1⁄2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 lb small red potato, unpeeled and quartered
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice, undrained
- salt & fresh ground pepper (to taste)
- 2 small zucchini, cut into 1/4 inch thick rounds
- 1 (15 ounce) can cannellini or 1 (15 ounce) canother white beans
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary or 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat olive oil in large sauce pan over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and sauté until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook stirring for about 30 seconds.
- Add the fennel and wine and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered and stirring, until the wine is reduced by one half, about 5 minutes.
- Add the stock, potatoes, tomatoes and salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are softened, about 20 minutes.
- Add the zucchini, beans and salt and pepper to taste.
- Simmer until the ingredients are tender and desired consistency is achieved, about 15 minutes.
- A few minutes before serving, stir in the orange zest and rosemary.