Prep 0 mins
Cook 25 mins
Mom found this recipe in her CURVES' magazine winter 2006. I didn't have to change very much in this soup recipe. Other seasonal vegetables can be substituted;-asparagus, broccolini, Toscano kale, etc.
- 44.37 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 59.16 ml sage leaves, coarsely chopped (NOT dried)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 236.59 ml fresh green peas or 236.59 ml frozen green pea
- 236.59 ml green beans, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 236.59 ml carrot, cut into coins
- 236.59 ml zucchini or 236.59 ml yellow squash, diced
- 118.29 ml celery & leaves, stalks diced and leaves minced
- 1 medium sweet potatoes or 1 potato, peeled and diced
- 453.59 g can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1419.54 ml sodium-free vegetable broth
- 1.23 ml red pepper flakes
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- In a soup pot heat up the olive oil on low-medium heat and lightly saute the sage leaves; about 5 minutes. With a slotted spoon, remove leaves from pot and set aside. In same pot, saute the garlic until soft, only a minute or two.
- Add the green peas, green beans, zucchini, carrots, potato and cannelini beans. Stir mixture over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Add the vegetable broth and red pepper flakes. Simmer until the vegetables are tender, about 15-20 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Divide and ladle the soup into 4 individual soup bowls. Garnish each serving with the sauteed sage leaves.
- Enjoy immediately! Don't forget the Italian bread and pop in a Bocelli CD (Furtiva Lagrina on the Viaggio Italiano recording) while you're at it!
What a wonderful veggie soup! I had to make a couple of substitutions because the green beans I was going to use were past their prime. Instead of the fresh beans, carrots and peas, I used 3 cups of frozen mixed vegetables. I'm sure this would be even better with the fresh veggies called for in the recipe. The fresh sage really makes the recipe special. Thank you for posting. Made for April Veggie Swap.
I was looking for recipes with fresh sage and came across this wonderful vegetable soup. I am currently in the CHIP (Coronary Health Improvement Program) and have to really look for recipes that fit what I should be eating to improve my health. I used low sodium chicken broth instead of vegetable broth. I really enjoyed the slightly different flavor (I'm assuming from the sage) than "regular" soup. Loved how healthy and delicious it was.