Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 15 mins
Recipe from the WebMD Weight Loss Clinic. I haven't made this so I'm guessing at the prep time. I want this in my cookbook so I'm posting it to share.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups finely chopped onions (about 1 large)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried thyme (2 tablespoons of chopped fresh thyme can be used)
- 3 teaspoons minced garlic
- 4 cups coarsely chopped green cabbage
- 14 1⁄2 ounces italian-style canned stewed tomatoes
- 2 cups sliced celery
- 2 cups diced carrots (1/2-inch pieces) or 2 cups baby carrots
- 8 cups low sodium chicken broth (vegetable broth can be substituted)
- 3 cups diced potatoes (1/2-inch pieces)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh basil
- 3 cups half-slices zucchini (cut zucchini in half, then cut into slices)
- 15 ounces canned red kidney beans, rinsed and drained (white kidney beans can be substituted)
- shredded parmesan cheese (about a tablespoon per serving)
- Heat olive oil in large, nonstick saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, thyme, and garlic and saute about 3-5 minutes.
- Stir in the cabbage pieces, the canned, stewed tomato (including liquid), celery, and carrots and saute 8-10 minutes.
- Stir in the chicken broth, potatoes, fresh basil, zucchini, and kidney beans and bring back to a boil.
- Reduce heat to simmer, cover saucepan, and let simmer about an hour.
- Spoon into soup bowls and top each serving with a tablespoon of Parmesan cheese.
- Makes 6 large or 12 small bowls.