Recipe by Ridgely
Tomatoes, onions, pesto and cream--doesn't get any better that. A friend gave me this recipe that comes from a local upscale restaurant called Chef's Table. Excellent!
Top Review by jess_ut
So I went to this Chef's Table place and that is what inspired me to make this soup! WHAT LUCK! I made my own pesto from basil that I got at the farmers market. I would have made the pesto stronger which would have given the soup a better flavor...but that was my fault. This soup was VERY GOOD!! I may next time use a fat free half and half to cut down on calories and fat. I will also use some type of strong flavor cheese to put on the top as well. Parmeasan?? THANKS!
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 5 cups diced and seeded tomatoes (I used 3 14 oz. cans drained diced tomatoes-still winter where I live)
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 1⁄2 cups whipping cream
- 1 cup basil pesto
- salt and pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a medium large soup pot.
- Add onions and cook over medium-low heat until completely translucent.
- Add tomatoes and bring to a simmer.
- Add chicken stock. Bring to a simmer and allow to simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add whipping cream. Add pesto.
- Blend to desired consistency with hand blender, food processor or blender.
- Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.