Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
An easy, flavorful recipe adapted from Cooking Light I've made many times.
- 2 1⁄2 cups 1-inch French bread cubes (~2½ slices)
- olive oil flavored cooking spray
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth, undiluted
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 -5 teaspoons grated parmesan cheese
- Arrange bread cubes in a single layer on a baking sheet and lightly coat bread with spray.
- Bake at 400° about 10 minutes until dry and toasted.
- Heat oil in large saucepan over medium-low heat.
- Add garlic and sauté 2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes through pepper and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Divide croutons among 4 or 5 bowls; ladle soup over croutons and sprinkle with cheese.
This is a great tomato soup recipe although next time I will omit or reduce the amount of balsamic vinegar, I think that it would be just as good without it, I used 3 tablespoons minced garlic, and canned plum tomatoes and lots of black pepper, the bread cubes are what make this soup extra special! Thanks for a great recipe echo!...Kitten:)
I made only the soup, with a few changes. I drained the tomatoes and saved the juice, then blended the tomatoes straight from the can instead of cooking them first. I added the pureed tomatoes along with everything else after sauteing the garlic. I left out the vinegar for personal preference, used 1 TBSP Italian seasoning instead of the parsley and oregano, and I substituted 1/2 cup of the broth with milk. This was a really easy soup to make and very yummy! This will now be my stand by for when I crave tomato soup.
Just delightful. I cut this recipe in half, for the two of us, using petite diced tomatoes with jalapeno peppers. I also did as Mr. Rich did and removed the tomatoes with a slotted spoon after about 5 minutes and placed in the blender to make it smooth. Excellent blend of spiced and so quick to make. The toasted french bread is a real addition to this recipe, but will be great even without them. Thanks eebrag for another great recipe.