Food & Wine's One Dish Meals: "There are many versions of bread soup; this one, based on traditional peasant fare, is as thick as bread pudding. The soup is delicious on its own, but we think the steamed mussels with their broth make a wonderful addition." Wine Recommendation: "With such a regional dish, the wine almost to come from Tuscany too. Try a Rosso di Montalcine, Brunello's lighter, less costly cousin."
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped fine
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped fine
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 2 tablespoons thin sliced basil leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 cups canned crushed tomatoes, in a thick puree (from one 28-ounce can)
- 1 1/4 lbs vine ripened tomatoes, cut small dice (about 4)
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 2 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 pinch sugar
- 1 3/4 lbs country-style bread, crust removed, cut into 1-inch cubes (about 7 cups)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 lbs mussels, scrubbed and debearded
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1In a large saucepan, heat 4 tablespoons of the oil over moderately low heat. Add the onion, bell pepper, garlic, chopped basil and oregano. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is golden, about 10 minutes.
- 2Add the canned and fresh tomatoes, the broth, salt and sugar; bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to low. Simmer, uncovered, until thick, about 30 minutes.
- 3Meanwhile, heat the oven to 350°F Put the bread on a baking sheet and toast in the oven until crisp, about 25 minutes. Remove.
- 4Add the bread and pepper to the sauce and bring to a simmer. Cook, stirring gently, until the bread absorbs all the liquid, about 5 minutes.
- 5Discard any mussels that have broken shells or that don't clamp shut when tapped.
- 6Put the wine, mussels, and 1 tablespoon of of the oil in a large stainless steel saucepan. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat.
- 7Cook, shaking the pit occasionally, just until the mussels open, about 3 minutes. Discard any mussels that do not open.
- 8Mound the bread soup in shallow bowls and surround with the mussels and broth, leaving any grit in the pan. Drizzle with the remaining 1 tablespoon oil and sprinkle with the sliced basil.
Browse Our Top Mussels Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Mussels Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tuscan Tomato Bread Soup With Steamed Mussels
Serving Size: 1 (733 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1011.8
- Calories from Fat 296
- Total Fat 32.9 g
- Saturated Fat 5.4 g
- Cholesterol 63.6 mg
- Sodium 3621.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 130.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.6 g
- Sugars 19.8 g
- Protein 46.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: