1/1 Photo of Tuscan Tomato Basil Soup
1 hr 5 mins
Sky Hostess's Note:
This is a lighter copy cat version of the Tomato Soup from Safeway. I found it on the internet. It was revamped by Carol Devenot from Hawaii. I have never had the "real stuff" so I don't know what I am missing. This was very tasty though. Thick and hearty. I had lots of butternut squash left over so I steamed it for a few minutes and then froze it in 2-1/2 cup portions to make more soup later. One 4-1/2 lb squash will make about 4 pots of soup. I used 1 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper. If you have an immersion blender it's alot easier than trasferring the soup to a blender since you can just puree in the pot. This definitely gets better overnight, so if you can, make it a day ahead of time. Serve this with a grilled cheese sandwich and you have a warm, hearty meal!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes with juice
- 1/4-1/2 cup tomato paste with garlic (I used 1/4 cup)
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 -2 1/2 cups butternut squash, peeled and diced
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 -1 1/4 cup fat-free half-and-half or 1 -1 1/4 cup nonfat yogurt
- 3 dashes Tabasco sauce or 3 dashes other hot pepper sauce
- 1In a large saucepan, saute onions and garlic in butter or oil over medium-low heat until soft and golden.
- 2Add tomatoes, tomato paste, chicken stock, butternut squash, salt, pepper, basil and thyme. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat. Partially cover and simmer for about 30-35 minutes, or until squash is fork-tender.
- 3Puree the soup in a blender, then pour back into the saucepan. Stir in nonfat half and half or yogurt, splash in the hot pepper sauce, and taste for seasoning. Heat the soup just to a boil, then ladle into bowls.
- 4Garnish with sliced basil leaves or minced parsley.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tuscan Tomato Basil Soup
Serving Size: 1 (325 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 140.3
- Calories from Fat 50
- Total Fat 5.6 g
- Saturated Fat 3.0 g
- Cholesterol 14.6 mg
- Sodium 399.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 8.2 g
- Protein 4.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
tomato paste with garlic