Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 45 mins
This is a hearty, vegetarian winter soup. Sprinkle with a little grated Parmesan cheese and have some toast on the side and you have a complete meal. This is an easy recipe to throw together and then you can just let it sit and cook. Recipe is from food writer/recipe developer, Jennifer A. Wickes.
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 celery rib, sliced
- 1 onion, diced
- 453.59 g kale
- 2 zucchini, sliced
- 59.14 ml olive oil
- 1.23 ml thyme
- 2 (850.48 g) can cannellini beans
- 425.24 g can diced tomatoes
- 473.18 ml vegetable stock
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- When the oil is hot add the thyme, carrots, celery and onions.
- Sweat these over very low heat for about 5 minutes.
- Then, add the kale.
- Cover tightly and cook the kale until it wilts to half its volume.
- Add the tomatoes and 2 cups of stock.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Allow the stew to come a boil.
- Add the zucchini.
- Simmer for one more hour, then add the beans.
- If necessary, add more water to your desired consistency, and cook 45 minutes longer.
This is really tasty and uses lots of on-hand ingredients. I substituted Great Northern beans, but I think it didn't make any major diffrence. Hearty, but doesn't leave you feeling bloated.
Perfect way to welcome fall weather! I had no carrots on hand, so omitted those, and soaked dried cannellinis instead of using canned. Molto deliziosa!