Prep 30 mins
Cook 50 mins
Pollo Arrostito alla Toscana; Cucina Rustica
- 1 (3 lb) whole chickens
- 1 slice pancetta, about 1/4 inch thick
- 1 slice prosciutto, about 1/8 inch thick
- 1 slice black forest ham, about 1/4 inch thick
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 1 sprig fresh sage
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- Wash chicken inside and out; dry well.
- Cut the pancetta and prosciutto into small strips; dice the ham.
- Season the inside of the chicken with salt and pepper; place the pancetta, prosciutto, ham, herbs, and 2 tablespoons butter in the cavity of the chicken.
- Rub the remaining butter on the chicken skin and salt the exterior; truss the chicken.
- Preheat oven to 350°; place chicken, breast side down, on a roasting pan in the upper third of the oven.
- After 15 minutes, turn the chicken so the breast faces up; cook for another 15 minutes, then increase heat to 425°, and cook for 20 more minutes.
- Baste with the juices as it cooks; test chicken for doneness.
- Transfer chicken to a serving dish; tip the roasting pan and spoon off the fat from the juices.
- Carve the chicken and serve with its savory juices.