Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
Plenty of black pepper is what makes this simple chicken dish so good.
- 7 lbs whole chickens, halved, backbones removed, excess fat trimmed (use a quantity of 2 - 3 1/2 pound chickens)
- 8 tablespoons olive oil (preferably extra-virgin)
- 2 tablespoons fresh coarse ground black pepper
- lemon wedge
- Rub each chicken half all over with 2 tablespoons oil, then 1 1/2 teaspoons pepper.
- Sprinkle generously with salt.
- Let stand at room temperature 1 hour.
- Preheat broiler.
- Arrange chicken, skin side down, on broiler pan.
- Watching closely to avoid burning, broil chicken 5 to 6 inches from heat source until golden brown, about 12 minutes.
- Remove broiler pan from oven.
- Using tongs, transfer chicken to plate.
- Pour off any pan drippings.
- Return chicken, skin side up, to broiler pan.
- Broil until skin is crisp and golden brown, about 5 minutes.
- Turn chicken over, skin side down again, and broil until cooked through, about 8 minutes longer.
- Transfer chicken to platter; let stand 5 minutes.
- Serve with lemon wedges to squeeze over chicken.
A fantastic and simple dish to prepare. Its a chicken day for me, and i truly enjoyed how easy but tasty it was