1/2 Photos of Tuscan Style Braised Pork
3 hrs 15 mins
Mama Cee Jay's Note:
This recipe is based upon my recollection of Marlena De Blasi's Tuscan Wild Boar recipe in her book "A Thousand Days in Tuscany." (My copy of that book is currently packed up, so I couldn't consult it.) Also, I made modifications based upon what I had on hand. This is a great dish to serve to a hungry crowd of meat eaters! Please note that prep time does not include time to marinate meat which can vary according to your needs or preferences.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 -7 lbs pork shoulder
- 1 tablespoon juniper berries
- 1 tablespoon clove
- 1/2 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon dried garlic, sliced
- 2 tablespoons coarse sea salt
- 1/4 cup gin
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 (32 ounce) container chicken broth
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- water, to cover
- 1Cut roast into 2" chunks, removing excess fat.
- 2Process juniper berries, cloves, peppercorns, dried garlic and sea salt in spice grinder until coarse mixture results.
- 3Put meat into large plastic container and rub generously with several tablespoons of spice mixture. (Reserve remaining spices.) Add gin and olive oil and thoroughly mix together. Seal container and refrigerate for at least 3-4 hours. Turn container a few times during marination process. You can marinate for up to three days if you can wait that long!
- 4Preheat oven to 325 deg F. Brown meat pieces in batches on stove top over medium high heat in a large oven safe covered pot or dutch oven. Place browned meat back into pot and add chicken broth, tomato sauce, red wine vinegar and enough water to cover meat.
- 5Cover and transfer pot to oven. Braise meat for 3-4 hours or until meat is very tender. Taste sauce and season with reserved spices if desired. Serve over pasta or mashed potatoes.
Browse Our Top < 4 Hours Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tuscan Style Braised Pork
Serving Size: 1 (294 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 609.3
- Calories from Fat 413
- Total Fat 45.9 g
- Saturated Fat 14.9 g
- Cholesterol 161.0 mg
- Sodium 1667.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 2.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 1.1 g
- Protein 40.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: