Prep 45 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is one of the most awesome stuffed pepper recipes I have come across.
- 6 red sweet bell peppers or 6 yellow sweet bell peppers, about 6 oz each
- 1 large eggplant (1-1/2 pounds)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 medium fennel bulb, chopped about (1 cup)
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 3⁄4 cup black olives or 3⁄4 cup green olives, pitted and quartered
- 1⁄2 cup snipped fresh cut flat-leaf Italian parsley
- 1⁄3 cup dried capers, rinsed
- 1⁄4 cup snipped fresh sage
- 2 tablespoons of fresh grated parmesan cheese
- Slice the tops off of each of the bell peppers and remove the seeds. Place peppers on foil lined baking sheet, and broil about 4 inches from heat for 12 to 15 minutes or until charred. Turn to brown all sides. After they are browned, place the peppers in a plastic bag to sweat for about 30 minutes, and then remove the skin.
- Meanwhile cut the eggplant into 1/2 inch slices and sprinkle both sides with salt; let drain for 30 minutes. Wipe off excess salt and cut eggplant into 1/2 inch cubes. Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a skillet sauté the fennel in olive oil for 4 minutes. Add the eggplant and garlic and sauté 7 to 8 minutes more. Remove the skillet from heat and add olives, parsley, capers, sage, and 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper.
- Divide filling among peppers. Arrange peppers in baking dish and sprinkle with cheese. Bake in preheated oven uncovered for 20 to 25 minutes or until heated through.
I made this and thought they were alright. I had to add pasta sauce to them because I found them to be a little too dry. The combination of flavors was great and with some more added cheese and sauce, they turned out pretty good.
I just loved the different flavors in this dish. I halved the recipe. The red peppers were so soft, I just layed them in the pan, then poured the stuffing over. I used green olives, because that is what I had on hand.Each bite was a taste treat! Thanks Recipe Fairy!
This was absolutely the best Stuffed Pepper recipe I have had. I used black chopped olives as that is what I had in the fridge. The fennel together with the eggplant give an awesome flavour, if you like italian flavours you will just love this. I will definately be doing this again and again.