Recipe by Jennygal
This has scored some seriously great reviews in the latest edition of the Pillsbury Bake-off....cant wait to try it!!
- 1 pillsbury refrigerated pie crust
- 2 (3 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 5 teaspoons basil pesto
- 1 (9 ounce) box frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed to drain
- 1⁄3 cup diced red onion
- 2 small tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons dry roasted sunflower seeds
- 1⁄3 cup provolone cheese, shredded (can also use smoked)
- 2 fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 375°F.
- Line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper or spray with nonstick cooking spray. Unroll pie crust onto cookie sheet.
- In a small bowl, stir together the cream cheese and 4 tsp of the pesto. Spread this on pie crust to within 1" of the edge.
- Arrange spinach evenly over cream cheese mixture. Sprinkle onion over spinach. Arrange tomato slices in a single layer over onion.
- Carefully fold a 1" edge of crust over filling, pleating every 2". Brush remaining pesto over folded edge of crust.
- Bake 20 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle sunflower seeds and provolone evenly over crustini. Bake 12-14 min longer or until cheese is melted and crust is light golden brown.
- Cool 15-20 minutes. Sprinkle with basil leaves and cut into wedges.