Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
If you have enjoyed the "ZUPPA TOSCANA" at the Olive Garden, then you will love this Copy Cat recipe. If you have not had it, then you need to try it. :-)
- 2 cups spicy sausage (Jimmy Dean)
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 tablespoons chicken base
- 2 quarts water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 cups coarsely chopped potatoes
- 6 cups chopped fresh kale
- 5 ounces evaporated milk
- parmesan cheese
- In some olive oil sauté the onion and garlic until transparent.
- Add water and chicken base or 2 quarts chicken broth.
- Add the potatoes (I like to use frozen hash browns that I always have on hand).
- Add the seasonings.
- Bring to boil. Cover with lid and simmer.
- Brown the sausage, breaking up into small pieces, and drain in a stainer.
- Wash the kale, remove the stems/rib. Slice across you can add fresh or thawed frozen spinach squeezed dry).
- Add the sausage and kale to your saucepan and cook until potatoes are tender.
- Add the can of evaporated milk and heat through.
- Check to see if you want to add any salt.
- Serve with freshly grated Parmesan cheese. Enjoy.:-).
Great soup I sprinkled a little fennel seed on the sausage as it cooked. Probably about 1/2 tsp. The recipe is just like Olive Garden!
This was indeed yummy! I used a 20 ounce package of frozen hash browns, and when all was done, added another 4 cups (approx) of chicken broth as it seemed thicker than I wanted. Perfect for lunch today in cool, rainy Minneapolis!
FABULOUS! The only thing I would change is the amount of hash browns. 4 cups of the shredded kind was not enough for our tastes. Next time I will add more. Thanks for a great recipe!