Prep 25 mins
Cook 12 hrs
This makes a good, hearty soup, especially in cooler weather. Great with hot crusty Italian bread. To save time, thaw and drain the spinach and keep in the refrigerator until you need it.
- 1 1⁄4 cups dry great northern beans
- 1 3⁄4 cups beef broth
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning, crushed
- 16 ounces fresh Italian sausages, cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 1 medium summer squash or 1 medium zucchini, sliced (about 2 cups)
- 1 (15 ounce) can Italian-style tomatoes, cut up,and undrained
- 1⁄3 cup dry red wine or 1⁄3 cup water
- 5 ounces frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained
- grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- Rinse beans. Combine beans and cold water in a Dutch oven and boil uncovered for 15 minutes. Drain.
- Meanwhile, in a medium skillet brown the Italian sausage. Drain on paper towels.
- Combine the drained beans, 4 cups fresh water, beef broth, onion, garlic, Italian seasoning, Italian sausage, squash or zucchini, undrained tomatoes, and red wine or water in a 4 qt. crockpot.
- Cook, covered, on low heat for 10 to 12 hours, or until beans are tender.
- Just before serving, stir the spinach into soup.
- Sprinkle each serving with Parmesan cheese (opt.) Serve immediately.
I have made this again since my 2003 rating and brought it up from 4 to 5 stars. I used hot turkey sauage, veggie broth instead of beef broth and used canned navy beans, undrained and rest of ingredients the same. I cooked it stovetop. Did not need any salt or pepper to taste, perfect as is.