Recipe by Chicagoland Chef du Jour
I love soup! This is very tasty and a real hearty treat. It comes together quickly. UPDATE: 2/14 I recently added a can of diced tomatoes an that was a great addition. Serve with a baked tomato, green salad and crusty bread. Oh, and don't forget a nice glass of red vino. Recipe from DH's cuz MC!
Top Review by Spice Jar
This is absolutely delicious. I did not need to add any additional seasoning. I did add a bag of fresh spinach since I had it laying around and will do so in the future. I am writing this review the night before cooking this for the second time. Yum!
- 1 lb hot Italian sausage, substitute mild
- 1 small onion, chopped fine
- 1 stalk celery, chopped fine
- 1 carrot, chopped fine
- 1 tablespoon rosemary, fresh chopped or 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 14 ounces diced tomatoes, not in original recipe but great to add
- 6 cups great northern beans, canned, rinsed, approximately (3)
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 -4 cups low sodium chicken broth, divided
Directions See How It's Made
- In a soup pot, brown sausage until no longer pink.
- Break up into small pieces while cooking.
- Drain off excess oil. Return to pot.
- In a food processor, chop onion, celery, carrot, rosemary, and garlic until fine; add to the soup pot.
- In same food processor, puree 2 cups Great Northern beans with 1 cup chicken broth; add to the pot.
- NOTE: I like to chop the diced tomatoes a little finer in the food processor before adding.
- Combine remaining ingredients.
- Bring to boil; lower heat and simmer for 60 minutes or until desired consistency.
- Serve with your favorite sides and red wine.