Recipe by merron-iru kami
A hearty, rich soup full of potatoes, greens and garlic! It's easy enough for a beginner cook!
- 1 lb hot Italian sausages (vegetarians use sausage-flavored meat substiture like "Gimme Lean") or 1 lb vegetarian sausage, casing removed (vegetarians use sausage-flavored meat substiture like "Gimme Lean")
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 lb red potatoes, well scrubbed and cut into 1/2 inch chunks
- 6 garlic cloves, crushed
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups kale, cleaned and roughly chopped
- 2 cups whole milk (skim or soy may be used)
- 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- salt and pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown the sausage in the bottom of a large stock pot, breaking it up with a utensil as you go.
- Once meat is no longer pink, add onions and continue to saute until they are translucent (if using meat substitute, you may wish to add a few teaspoons of olive oil to prevent sticking).
- Add potatoes and garlic to the pot and stir to incorporate them. Once garlic becomes fragrant, add the vegetable stock and red pepper (if using) and bring to a boil.
- Once potatoes are tender, add chopped kale and cover the pot. Once the kale has wilted, remove the pot from heat, add milk and season with salt and pepper.
- For Vegetarian use only the Vegetarian sausage. Note they do not have casings.