Recipe by MsKittyKat
Excellent dish for a wintry night. Cooking it in a slow-cooker makes it easy. Put it on and head out to sled, skate or build a snowman. My mom used to make this for us every winter.
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 2 1⁄2-3 lbs bottom round beef roast
- 2 large onions, quartered
- 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced (2 cups)
- 2 large carrots, thinly sliced (2 cups)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 (1/2 ounce) package dried mushroom (such as portobello)
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 (28 ounce) can plum tomatoes, chopped,liquid reserved
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat and brown the roast on all sides.
- Transfer the roast to a 4 to 6 quart slow cooker (Crockpot).
- To the fat remaining in the skillet, add the onions, celery, carrots and garlic.
- Cook, stirring frequently, until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste and stir to coat the vegetables; transfer to the cooker.
- Pour the wine into the skillet and deglaze the browned bits; add the wine to the cooker, along with the mushrooms, salt, oregano, and tomatoes (plus 1 cup of their liquid).
- Cook 8 hours on low heat or 4 hours on high heat.