Prep 25 mins
Cook 20 mins
Pot Pie With a Twist- Served with a tossed salad and crusty bread this easily makes a meal for 8 hungry people.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs smoked sausage, any variety- diced
- 3 medium zucchini, diced
- 3 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4 cups spaghetti sauce
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1⁄4 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 (8 count) can crescent rolls
- 3 (16 ounce) cans great northern beans
- Put sausage into large dutch oven and heat on low till hot. About 5 to 8 minutes.
- Add the zucchini, onions, and mushrooms. Stir.
- Sprinkle all the dried spices over the mixture and let heat 2 minutes. Stir well and let heat till the mushrooms start wilting down. Stir occasionally so it doesn't burn. There is no need to add water or oil.
- Rinse and drain the beans and add them.
- Add the spaghetti sauce to the mixture and stir. It will be quite thick. Heat for a few minutes.
- Remove from heat. Then add the cheese and stir. Pour into the pan that you have sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.
- Make a decorative topping with the crescent rolls. Your choice. then place into a preheated 425°F oven and cook until the crescent rolls are browned and the pie mixture bubbly. In my oven that is usually about 20 minutes for this dish.
WONDERFUL FAMILY DISH!!!! Had only one picky eater, but thats the norm here! Great way to get everyone to have veggies!!! Used some home made sausage, 2 small zucchini, 6oz mushrooms, 1/2 red onion, (all veggies chopped small)sauteed veggies in basil olive oil, sprinkled with ground white pepper, oregano, and saffron, 1 lg can spaghetti sauce, 2c mixed ital cheese, 1 can great northern beans, and topped casserole with 16oz crescent rolls in 9x13 inch pan. Was plenty for the four of us with leftovers! Had baked at 375 thinking that 425 would burn them. Crust was a bit doughy, as i followed the crescent roll instructions. Next time will bake at 425 and follow this recipe baking instructions. Will have to definately make again!! Thanks Ruth!!!!!
I wanted to do something different with smoked sausage and found this recipe. My family says it's delicious.
This was a BIG hit with my son and husband. Hubby took some to work and they all loved it as well. Instead of the crescent rolls, I made biscuits. This is a definate keeper!