Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
From The Bon Appetit Cookbook by Barbara Fairchild. It is a collection of favorite dishes published over the past 25 years in the Bon Appetit magazine. This is a wonderful dish to cook outside on your barbeque and then to eat inside on a cool fall evening.
For the Red-Pepper Relish
- 1 1⁄2 lbs red bell peppers (about 3 large)
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 anchovies, chopped
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry crushed red pepper
- salt and pepper
For the Pork
- 1⁄2 cup fresh rosemary
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 6 large garlic cloves
- 1 orange, rind of, removed in strips with vegetable peeler
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 1⁄2 lbs pork rib roast
- For red-pepper relish: Char peppers over flame or barbecue grill until blackened on all sides. Enclose in paper bag for 10 minutes. Peel and seed peppers and chop coarsely. Transfer peppers to bowl.
- Mix in remaining ingredients for relish, seasoning to taste with salt and pepper.
- Let stand at least one hour (can be prepared 1 day aheadand refrigerated).
- For pork: Combine rosemary, oil, garlic, orange peel, salt and pepper in a food processor; blend until thick and almost smooth (or blend in a mortar and pestle). Spread rosemary puree evenly over pork. Let stand while preparing barbecue fire. (Pork also can be prepared 1 day ahead, covered and chilled. Bring to room temperature before continuing.).
- Prepare an indirect fire (briquettes or gas heat on one side), in kettle barbecue cooker, with bottom vents open.
- Place pork bone side down on grate away from heat. Cover with lid, positioning open top vent of lid directly over pork. Grill pork 1 hour, then turn it with tongs. Cook until instant-read thermometer inserted into top center of meat registers 140 to 145 degrees.
- Transfer meat to platter, tent loosely with foil and let stand 15 minutes before slicing.
- Serve with pepper relish.
I made this with pork chops instead of a rib roast. Wonderful flavors. Orange, rosemary, garlic and some capers and anchovy in the relish. Wow!