Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is another great dish from the Tuscan cooking class I took.
- 2 cups basil leaves
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 1⁄2 cup freshly grated pecorino romano cheese
- 2 cups shelled walnut halves
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 lb penne rigate
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Crush the basil, garlic, Pecorino, and walnuts into a semi-smooth paste in a mortar or in a food processor. Add 1/2 teaspoon of the salt. Beat in the olive oil in a thin, steady stream until a creamy paste forms; the sauce will not be smooth. Set aside.
- Bring 5 quarts of water to a boil; add the penne and the remaining 2 tablespoons of salt. Cook until al dente, then drain, reserving 1 cup of the pasta cooking water.
- Toss the penne with the sauce and the reserved pasta cooking water in a heated bowl. Serve hot, sprinkled with the pepper.