Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Peas cooked with sage add a delicious flavour, far less predictable than mint. Last time I cooked this was with a roast chicken and it was went great.
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 slices bacon
- 2 tablespoons light olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 500 g frozen peas
- fresh ground black pepper
- Peel onion and chop finely.
- Crush, peel and chop garlic.
- Derind bacon and finely chop.
- Heat oil in a saucepan and saute onion, garlic and bacon until onion is clear.
- Add stock and sage and bring to the boil.
- Add peas and cook, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Season with pepper and serve without draining.
Loved this recipe. At first I was iffy while cooking it because I felt it was missing something but then added 2 T of butter to the pan and loved the taste. Definitely will fix this again.
I made this for Thanksgiving, and everyone said they liked it, but nobody gushed over how good it was. I used precooked Italian sausage instead of bacon, because I found the recipe after I'd finished shopping, and that's all I had. Next time, I'll use bacon, or at least add the sausage with the peas instead of with the onion.
These were really good. I felt that the bacon flavour got a bit lost though. All in all, it was nice to serve boring peas in a new exciting way. I may try adding the bacon already cooked at the end. Thanks for expanding my horizons!