Prep 8 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a simple salad that can be a main dish or a side. Wonderful for summer!
- 4 slices Italian bread
- olive oil flavored cooking spray
- 1 cup basil leaves (preferably fresh)
- 1⁄2 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1⁄4 cup pitted halved black olives (optional)
- 2 pints cherry tomatoes or 2 pints grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 (16 ounce) can white beans, drained
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon bottled minced garlic
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Trim the crusts from the bread slices.
- Cut the bread into 1-inch cubes and arrange in a single layer on a baking sheet.
- Lightly coat the bread cubes with cooking spray and bake until toasted, about 15 minutes.
- Combine the basil, onion, olives, tomatoes, and beans in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, combine the remaining ingredients and whisk well.
- Pour over the tomato-bean mixture and toss lightly. Add the toasted bread cubes and toss again.