Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
A home style soup simply flavored with sweet white onions and Pancetta. Toasted Italian bread croutons topped with fresh grated Swiss cheese add texture and richness. I like to add just a touch of white wine. Recipe from the "cook's library".
- 1⁄2 cup pancetta, diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 large white onions, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 3⁄4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- salt & fresh ground pepper
- 4 slices ciabatta or 4 slices other Italian bread
- 3 tablespoons soft butter
- 3⁄4 cup coarsely grated swiss cheese
- Saute pancetta in a large sauce pan over medium heat until it starts to brown, remove with a slotted spoon and reserve.
- Add the oil and onions and cook over high heat 4 minutes.
- Stir in garlic, reduce heat to low, cover and cook until onions are soft and golden brown.
- Add chicken broth, parsley, salt and pepper bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 15 minutes.
- While soup is cooking, heat broiler and toast bread on both sides.
- Butter one side of the toast, sprinkle with cheese and cut into bite size pieces.
- To serve, add pancetta, ladle into 4 soup bowls and top with the toasted cheese croutons.
Oh yes, Whats not to like.. And it was even in my allowable fat range ,under 30%, and yes this is a keeper. I was tempted to use prosciutto instead of pancetta since I had a little left, but I abstained and waited til I went to Seattle and got some p. worth the wait. Carol the Boys give it the thumbs way up.Its the combination if the flavors in your mouth that give it that, come and see me again soon, taste.