Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
What is better than Mac'N'Cheese. The recipe was a $400. winner in a casserole contest. I got the recipe from a magazine.
- 8 ounces sweet Italian sausage links or 8 ounces hot Italian sausage or 8 ounces uncooked sweet Italian turkey sausage
- 8 ounces gemelli pasta or 8 ounces elbow macaroni, cooked and drained (2 cups)
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, cute into cubes and softened
- 4 ounces crusty Italian bread, cut into 1 inch cubes (about 2 cups)
- 1 cup pitted kalamata olive, halved
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (4 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh sage or 1 teaspoon dried sage, crushed
- 1 teaspoon snipped fresh thyme or 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 medium tomatoes, sliced
- 2 ounces shredded asiago cheese or 2 ounces parmesan cheese or 2 ounces romano cheese (1/2 cup)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Remove casings, if present, from sausage.
- In a skillet cook crumbled sausage; drain.
- In a very large bowl combine sausage, cooked pasta, cream cheese, bread cubes, olives and mozzarella cheese.
- Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan melt butter over medium heat, Stir in flour, sage, thyme, salt and cayenne pepper.
- Add milk all at once.
- Cook and stir until slightly thickened and bubbly.
- Pour sauce over pasta mixture.
- Stir gently.
- Tranfer mixture to a 2-quart casserole.
- Bake, covered, for 35 minutes.
- Uncover; top with tomato slices and Cheese of choice.
- Bake uncovered for 15 minutes more or until heated through.
- Let stand 15 minutes before serving, Sprinkle with fresh thyme, if desired.
This is definitely an adult mac'n'cheese, but very good! I used hot Italian sausage, and asiago cheese in mine. Thank you for sharing.
This makes a very tasty meal. I used hot Italian sausage and tubetti pasta. It isn't a saucy mac'n'cheese, more a pasta bake, but full of flavor. I would say it makes closer to 6 servings than 8. Thanks for posting, Barb!