Prep 6 mins
Cook 12 mins
An easy, delicious recipe to serve for brunch or a light dinner.
- 1 large onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 19 ounces whole tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried mint
- 4 eggs
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
- Cut the onion in half lengthwise.
- Place each half, cut side down, on a cutting board, then thinly slice into long strips.
- Finely mince the garlic.
- Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan oven medium heat.
- When hot, add the onion, garlic and pepper.
- Cook, uncovered and stirring occasionally just until the onion is soft, from 3 to 4 minutes.
- Meanwhile, drain the tomatoes well, discarding the liquid.
- Place the tomatoes in a medium-sized bowl and using your hands or a potato masher, coarsely crush.
- Stir in the basil and mint.
- Taste and add some salt if needed.
- Pour into the pan with the onions.
- Stir to mix, then spread out evenly.
- Once the mixture begins to bubble, crack the eggs into the tomato mixture, trying not to break the yolks.
- Sprinkle the cheese over the eggs.
- Cover and continue to cook over medium heat until the whites turn opaque and the yolks are still slightly runny, from 7 to 8 minutes.
- Using a large spoon, scoop out some of the tomato and onion mixture along with each egg.
- Serve on top of a thick slice of toasted garlic bread.