Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr
- 8 boneless chicken thighs
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, mashed
- 3 garlic cloves, slivered
- 1⁄3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons dried rosemary
- 3 cups red potatoes, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- Sprinkle chicken with 1 teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon pepper.
- In a 3-quart Dutch oven, heat 2 tablespoons oil; saute the chicken until it is browned on all sides, about 3 minutes per side.
- Add the mashed garlic, and deglaze the pan with balsamic vinegar.
- Shake the pan to loosen any browned bits that have formed on the bottom.
- Add in chicken broth and rosemary; turning the chicken in the sauce.
- Cover the casserole and simmer 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°; pour the remaining 3 tablespoons oil, the garlic slivers, 2 teaspoons salt, and 1 teaspoon pepper into a big bowl or large ziploc bag.
- Add the potatoes and toss to coat them with the mixture.
- Spread the potatoes in an even layer over the chicken in the casserole.
- Transfer to the oven; bake 45 minutes, until the potatoes are golden brown.
- To serve, slice into the potatoes, and serve each person one piece of chicken on a bed of potatoes, spooning some of the pan juices over the chicken.