1/4 Photos of Tuscan Chicken Stew
The original recipe comes from one of my favorite Italian cookbooks. Adapted to my own tastes and availability of ingredients, this comforting stew packs lots of flavor and can easily be thrown together for a mid-week meal. I usually serve mine with a nice green salad on the side.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 skinless chicken thighs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 2 red peppers, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (28 ounce) can peeled tomatoes
- 2/3 cup dry white wine
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano or 1 large fresh oregano sprig, chopped
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- salt and pepper
- 4 sprigs oregano (optional)
- 1Heat the oil in a non-stick skillet until hot, not smoking. Saute the chicken in the oil until brown. Remove chicken from the pan and reserve. Add the onions and peppers to the pan and cook 3 to 5 minutes until soft but not browned. Add minced garlic.
- 2Carefully drain tomatoes reserving liquid in a cup or bowl. Mash the tomatoes into a thick paste – more concentrated than tomato sauce but not as thick as tomato paste.
- 3Add chicken, tomatoes, wine and oregano to the onions and peppers. Simmer 30 minutes, until chicken is cooked through. If the pan becomes dry, add a little of the reserved tomato liquid. Do so sparingly.
- 4Add cannelloni beans to the pan, and simmer another 5 minutes until hot.
- 5Garnish with sprigs of oregano (optional).
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tuscan Chicken Stew
Serving Size: 1 (343 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 299.3
- Calories from Fat 55
- Total Fat 6.1 g
- Saturated Fat 1.2 g
- Cholesterol 68.0 mg
- Sodium 390.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.7 g
- Sugars 11.2 g
- Protein 24.2 g