Prep 10 mins
Cook 6 hrs
Chicken thighs slow cooked in a crockpot with garlic and roasted red pepper, then shredded, make up the base for this yummy sandwich! Serve on focaccia bread which is spread with a mixture of mayonnaise and pesto and top with tomato slices. This is to die for! Recipe courtesy of Pillsbury.
- 1 1⁄4 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 6)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 cup roasted red pepper, cut into bite sized strips (from a jar)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons purchased pesto sauce
- 1 focaccia bread (10")
- 6 slices tomatoes
- Place chicken thighs in a 3 to 4 quart slow cooker.
- Sprinkle with garlic, roasted red pepper strips and salt.
- Cover and cook on low setting for 6 hours.
- Just before serving, remove chicken from slow cooker and place on a large plate.
- Shred chicken with two forks, return to slow cooker and mix well.
- In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise and pesto and blend well.
- Cut focaccia into 6 wedges and split each wedge in half.
- Spread cut sides with mayonnaise mixture.
- With slotted spoon, place about 1/3 cup of chicken mixture onto bottom half of foccacia wedge.
- Top each with a tomato slice and top half of foccacia.
These were good, I used bone-in thighs that I skinned before cooking, but I'm not so sure I would use thigh meat again. The pesto mayo made it a pretty greasy combination. I think chicken breast would be a lot nicer.
My family loved this, including my "picky" hubby. I also used both boneless, skinless chicken thighs & breasts, added more garlic & smoked cheddar to the sandwich. Thanks, Marie, for this recipe! It will be a regulsr in our house.