1/3 Photos of Tuscan Chicken in Lemon-Wine Sauce (Scaloppine Al Limone)
My husband and I learned to make this lemony chicken entree on a cooking vacation in Italy. The recipe is very quick and easy, yet bursting with flavor and tenderness. The sauce is made by whisking a beaten egg into the reduced liquids. We love it served over a side of pasta to soak up all the lemon-wine sauce.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1/2 cup chicken broth (or water and bullion cube)
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 large egg, well beaten
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1Flatten each chicken breast by pounding gently with a flat meat mallet (Hint - pound chicken inside a Ziploc bag - no mess!). Sprinkle flattened breasts with salt and pepper. Then dredge chicken in flour; shake off excess.
- 2Heat butter and oil over HIGH heat; just before butter starts to brown, add the chicken pieces and saute quickly to brown, about 3 minutes. Flip and brown other side (3 more minutes). It doesn't need to be totally cooked through because it will cook more in the sauce later.
- 3Remove chicken to platter but leave all browned bits in the skillet.
- 4Add wine to browned bits in skillet and boil to reduce wine by almost half (about 3 minutes). Add chicken broth and bring to a boil.
- 5In a small bowl, whisk together egg and lemon juice. Stir egg/lemon mixture into simmering wine and broth, whisking constantly until sauce is smooth and a little thickened (about 2 minutes). It will thicken more when you put in the chicken breasts which have a flour coating.
- 6Add chicken and any juices back into the sauce; allow to simmer about 5 minutes until chicken is cooked through, turning chicken once. Add chopped parsley.
- 7Place chicken on platter and pour sauce over top; garnish with lemon slices and additional parsley sprigs.
- 8HINT: Please use FRESH lemons and parsley; it has a big impact on the flavor of the dish, and besides, no aspiring Italian chef would consider using otherwise!
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tuscan Chicken in Lemon-Wine Sauce (Scaloppine Al Limone)
Serving Size: 1 (221 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 255.7
- Calories from Fat 97
- Total Fat 10.7 g
- Saturated Fat 3.4 g
- Cholesterol 129.6 mg
- Sodium 422.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 5.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 0.8 g
- Protein 27.8 g