Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 hrs
From Weight Watchers' "Slow Good" cookbook. Don't skip the browning step, it adds a tremendous amount of flavor. This is rather more of a soup than a stew.
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 lb chicken sausage or 1 lb turkey sausage
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 1 (9 ounce) package frozen artichoke hearts
- 1 medium onion, cut in wedges and separated
- 1 red bell pepper, cut in 1 1/2-inch squares
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cut in 1 1/2-inch squares
- 1 lb cremini mushroom, cleaned and quartered
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- kosher salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 (15 ounce) can low sodium chicken broth
- Cut the chicken into 1½" cubes. Cut the sausage into similarly-sized pieces.
- In a skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat until it shimmers. Working in batches, brown the chicken and sausage in the olive oil. Transfer to a crockpot as they are finished.
- Pour the wine into the skillet to deglaze, scraping up any browned bits on the bottom of the pan, then add to crockpot.
- Add the artichoke hearts, the onion, the peppers and the mushrooms to the crockpot. Add the herbs, and salt and pepper to taste. Add the chicken broth. Cover tightly and cook on low 8-10 hrs or high 3-4 hours.
Soup/Stew was very bland and the pieces of meat were too large. Had a few bites and threw the whole thing out!
A tasty, hearty, warming soup loaded with lots of good things. I also used chicken apple sausage and liked the smoky flavor. Served with crusty bread for a satisfying healthy family meal. Thanks.
I was expecting more of a stew. I got a delish soup. Made this with Emmerils chicken apple sausage. Just had to be patient so that the chicken and sausage could brown. The smokey flavor in the sausage and the sweetness in the peppers really came through. Even my very picky husband and son loved it. Served with some crusty bread.