Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a peasant casserole that has all the flavours fo traditional Tuscan ingredients. My family loves it and its even better the next day. From 500 best-ever Recipes- Mediterranean
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 8 skinless chicken thighs
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 2 red bell peppers, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 1⁄4 cups diced canned tomatoes
- 2⁄3 cup dry white wine or 2⁄3 cup chicken broth
- 1 large oregano sprigs or 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 (15 ounce) can cannellini beans (drained)
- 3 cups fresh white breadcrumbs
- salt and black pepper
- Heat the oil in a heavy-based frying pan which can be used under the grill/broiler.
- Cook the chicken until golden. Remove and keep hot. Add the onion and peppers to the pan and saute gently until softened. Stir in the garlic. Return the chicken to the pan. Add the tomatoes, wine or chicken broth and oregano, and salt and pepper.
- Bring to the boil. Cover the pan tightly, lower the heat and simmer for 30-35 minutes or until the chicken is tender.
- When the chicken is thoroughly cooked, stir in the cannellini beans. Cover the pan again and raise the heat slightly. Leave to simmer for about 5 minutes more, stirring once or twice, until the beans are hot. Preheat Broiler.
- Sprinkle the breadcrumbs evenly over the mixture in the pan and grill until the crumb topping is golden brown. Serve immediately.
This was delicious. I will make this again. I did include the beans as the recipe specified, but I don't think they really contributed a lot of flavor. So I'll leave them out the next time I make this dish. But the rest was thoroughly enjoyed. It was a lot like chicken cacciatore. Thank you for sharing your recipe, chef 587965. Made for Fall 2012 Pick-A-Chef.
I had bought a lot of chicken thighs and I was looking for a way to use them. This was a nice choice. I did a few things differently, did not wait until the end to add the beans, I added them along with the tomato, I added basil, thyme and fennel. i did not put under the broiler, but put it into a 350 degree oven for about 10 minutes. It was hearty meal made with simple ingredients,a nice option when you have a little time to cook