Recipe by Lainey39
This is a recipe from Paula Deen. She says that the key to a super-creamy carbonara sauce is to let the residual heat from the skillet and your still-hot ingredients cook the eggs instead of direct heat from the stovetop, which will yield a dry, scrambled egg sauce.
Top Review by Suzanne S.
Talk about ultimate comfort food! This flavorful pasta is so delicious! I will probably add a touch more cream next time to make it "jucier" but it is perfect just the way it is. Yum!!
- 1 lb spaghetti
- 1⁄2 lb pancetta or 1⁄2 lb bacon, diced
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 5 large egg yolks
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- fresh ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook spaghetti al dente (firm but not hard) according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, fry pancetta and onion over medium-low heat in large, straight-sided skillet until pancetta is crispy and onion has softened.
- Turn heat off.
- In medium bowl, whisk together yolks, cream and grated cheese.
- When spaghetti is ready, drain and toss it into skillet with pancetta and onion.
- Quickly pour egg mixture over spaghetti and toss well to combine.
- Season spaghetti with salt and pepper and serve immediately.