Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
Official Contest Entry: Simply Potatoes 5Fix. Fantastic mix of flavors and inspiring presentation makes this your go-to brunch dish every time!
- 1 tablespoon salted butter
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 (24 ounce) package Simply Potatoes Homestyle Slices
- 1 (12 ounce) package pepper bacon
- 4 eggs
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Use 1/2 tablespoon of butter to grease an 8 x 8 glass baking dish and set aside.
- Cook peppered bacon until crispy and set aside to cool on a plate lined with a paper towel.
- Julienne red bell pepper into 1 inch long slices. Heat 1/2 tablespoon butter in a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. When pan is hot, add red pepper slices and sautee until they start to brown but aren't soft (about 3-4 minutes).
- Layer Simply Potato Country Style Slices in the buttered baking dish. Crumble bacon and spread over potatoes. Sprinkle red bell pepper slices over the top. Cover dish with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes.
- Take dish out of oven, discard foil, crack 4 eggs (placing one in each quadrant) over dish, place back in oven, and bake the remaining 10 minutes uncovered.
- Pull out of oven, slice, and serve immediately. Egg yolks should still be runny when slicing. Can be made ahead and baked within 24 hours.
Are there really words to describe this taste sensation? Yes, here are some: crunchy, salty, sweet, smokey, rich, damn-fine, yee-haw! I made two alterations because I can't resist tinkering: a little granulated garlic sprinkled over the potatoes and some cheese. Everything needs garlic and cheese because this is America, damn it! I opted for Havarti, not because it was the best choice but it WAS what I had in the fridge.
This made a delicious Monday brunch. I am not much of the cooker, but had all the ingredients already in my kitchen, so i could not have said no. and boy am i happy that i didn't. My kids were actually impressed and pleased. totally will be using this again!
Just tried making this for dinner and it was a home run! Thanks for the great recipe :)))