Prep 15 mins
Cook 6 mins
From Shape Magazine: This recipe, adapted from A Real American Breakfast by Cheryl Alters Jamison and Bill Jamison (William Morrow), will give you the energy to get through even the busiest morning. Providing an extra punch of protein (along with eggs) is lean machaca, a beef filling borrowed from Mexican ranchers.
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 medium onion, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, seeded, cored and chopped
- 1 1⁄2 lbs thickly sliced lean deli roast beef, cut into matchsticks or 15 ounces black beans, for machaca for a nonmeat protein or 15 ounces pinto beans, drained for machaca for a nonmeat protein
- 3⁄4 cup low-sodium low-fat chicken broth or 3⁄4 cup low-sodium low-fat beef broth or 3⁄4 cup low-sodium low-fat vegetable broth
- 2 cups salsa
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 large egg, plus
- 1 large egg white, whisked lightly
- 6 flour tortillas, warmed
- To make machaca, heat oil in a skillet on medium heat. Add onion and pepper and sauté about 3 minutes. Stir in meat and sauté until meat is brown and crispy but not burned. (Scrape meat from the bottom occasionally.) Stir in broth and 1/2 cup salsa and add cinnamon stick. Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce to medium and cook until most of the liquid evaporates but the meat remains moist. Salt to taste. Remove cinnamon stick. Mix eggs into machaca and continue cooking 1 or 2 minutes until eggs are just firm. Spoon 1/6 mixture onto each tortilla and roll up. Place on a plate and spoon remaining salsa over each burro.