Top Review by FlemishMinx
We'd never eaten anything quite like this before, and it is really delicious ! I used 5-day old slices of ciabatta, and am amazed at how they softened up. I had a yellow pepper instead of a red one, and I think this made the salad even prettier. Following evelyn/athens line of thinking, I also added about 3 TBS fresh basil chiffonade. We found the viniagrette was just right as posted, not too bitter. I served this with a very spicy jerk chicken and they complemented each other perfectly. I'll be keeping this one in mind each time I have stale bread. Thanks for posting !
- 4 slices Italian bread, small or 8 slices French baguettes, small,several days old
- 3 large tomatoes
- 1 small red pepper
- 1⁄2 cup thinly sliced peeled and seeded cucumber
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- fresh ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Break the bread into bite sized pieces and place in a serving bowl.
- Remove the stems from tomatoes, and chop them into 1/2 inch cubes.
- Place tomatoes and their juices over the bread.
- Season with several pinches of salt and let sit 10 minutes.
- The moisture from the tomatoes will soften the bread.
- Toss after 10 minutes.
- Cut the pepper into 1/2 inch squares and add to salad bowl.
- Add cucumbers.
- Whisk vinegar and garlic together.
- Season with pinch of salt.
- Whisk in olive oil.
- Add dressing to salad.
- Season to taste with pepper.
- Toss well.