Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
Warm, flavorful and satisfying.
- 1 lb dried white kidney beans (cannellini)
- 1 lb plum tomato
- 9 cups chicken broth or 9 cups vegetable broth (homemade or canned)
- 4 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 cups sliced carrots
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 head cabbage, chopped
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1 1⁄2 ounces cans tomato paste
- 6 -8 fresh basil leaves, in thin strips
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Rinse beans and discard any misshapen or darkened ones.
- Put in a large pot with 8 cups cold water.
- Bring to a boil and boil for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let sit for 30 minutes Drain and discard water.
- Cut tomatoes in half and remove seeds.
- Then cut into cubes.
- Combine beans, tomatoes, and all other ingredients in a large soup pot.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium and simmer briskly for one hour.
I loved this soup! The best part is the flavor that the fresh basil and oregano give it. It is truly delicious and we ate all the leftovers!!!
Delicious and warming soup, perfect for our first day of snow. I used canned tomatoes instead of fresh ones and frozen fresh basil. I followed the recipe in all other respects except that I waited until the beans were tender to add the salt - I also cut back the salt by 1 teaspoon. We don't seem to use as much salt as many people - and added the basil at the end. I will certainly make this wonderful soup again and again. Thank you for this recipe, suzyq.
This is a great soup for those of us looking for low fat - high protein. Very satisfing and perfect for a cold evening.