Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
This bean salad is by far one of the best I've ever had (and I eat a lot of them)! This recipe comes from A Taste of Italy (1996) from The American Cooking Guild. Here is the book's description: "Cannellini (white kidney) beans provide the mild background flavor for the crunchy, tangy, zesty ingredients in this dish. Serve this rustic salad with grilled meats or sausages. For a satisfying single-course meal, mix in a jar of imported drained tuna. Serve in a soup plate with crusty Italian bread. Do not add salt until beans are half cooked, or they will become tough." Prep time is for canned beans.
- 2 (19 ounce) cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 large red onion, sliced
- salt and black pepper
- 3 -4 fresh sage leaves, minced
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 small cucumber, peeled, seeded, diced
- 5 cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1⁄4 cup brine-cured black olives, pitted and coarsely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice or 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Serve at room temperature.
- DRY BEANS DIRECTIONS: May use 1-1/4 cups dried cannellini beans or 1/2 pound great northern beans, soaked overnight.
- Drain soaked beans.
- Place beans and onion in a medium pot; cover with 2 quarts of water. Simmer 30 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Cook 30 minutes more or until tender but not mushy.
- Drain. Place in a large bowl and cool.
- When cool, stir in the remaining ingredients.
- Serve at room temperature.
- TIP: For those who don't like celery, use a vegetable peeler to remove the stringy bits on the back of the stalk. This makes the flavor milder and the texture more palatable.
Small world - I have the same book (more like a pamphlet). I made this last week and my husband loved it. I thought is should have a little less sage, since sage is so aromatic, but it was very good. I used a mix of canned cannellini beans and chick peas that I had left over from another dish. It keeps well in the refrigerator.