Prep 40 mins
Cook 20 mins
Note: prep/cooking times do not include chill time.
Make and share this Turtles recipe from Food.com.
- 40 whole pecans
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup dark corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (6 ounce) package semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Heat butter and evaporated milk until butter melts.
- In a separate 2-quart saucepan, cook sugar and corn syrup over medium heat to 244 degrees (firm-ball stage), stirring constantly.
- SLOWLY stir in hot milk mixture, making sure sugar mixture does not stop boiling. Stir constantly until temperature reaches 244 degrees.
- Remove caramel from heat. Stir in vanilla. Cool to room temperature.
- On waxed paper, place 4 pecans per turtle and top with 1 heaping teaspoon caramel. Cool until firm.
- Melt chocolate in a double boiler over simmering water. Spoon chocolate over caramel.
- Cool until hardened.
This recipe rocks Kathy! I have received huge accolades from my husbands co-workers over these delicious turtles. The home made carmel makes a huge difference compaired to the quick recipes that call for melted caramels. This was fast to make and worth the effort. Next time, I will make them smaller though. Thanks so much! Tanya