Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 45 mins
Recipe source: Emeril
Make and share this Turtle Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs turtle meat
- 2 3⁄4 teaspoons salt, in all
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cayenne, in all
- 6 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped onions
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots
- 1⁄4 cup chopped bell pepper
- 1⁄4 cup chopped celery
- 3 bay leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried leaf thyme
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 cup chopped tomato
- 1⁄2 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup dry sherry
- 1⁄4 cup chopped parsley
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green onion
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onions
- 2 tablespoons chopped hard-boiled eggs
- Put the turtle meat in a large saucepan with 1 teaspoon of salt, 1/4 teaspoon cayenne and the water.
- Bring to a boil.
- Skim off any foam that rises to the top.
- Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 20 minutes.
- With a slotted spoon transfer the meat to a platter.
- Cut the meat into 1/2 inch dice and reserve the liquid.
- In another large sauce pan, combine the butter and flour over medium heat, stirring constantly for 6 to 8 minutes to make a dark roux.
- Add the onions, shallots, bell peppers and celery.
- Stir occasionally and cook for 2 to 3 minutes until the vegetables are slightly tender.
- Add the bay leaves, thyme and garlic, cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and the turtle meat.
- Cook for 5 to 6 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add the Worcestershire sauce, the remaining salt and cayenne, the turtle stock (about 6 cups) lemon juice, and sherry.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the parsley, green onions, and eggs and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Garnish with green onions and chopped eggs.
Wonderful tasteing soup with a nice rich broth. I only used 3/8 tsp total of ground Cayenne and it had plenty of bite. Wonder if the Cayenne should be the flaked type. Chop and measure everything while the turtle meat is cooling. Things go fast in the mid part of the recipe. You will have more than the 15 min prep time if you have to bone the meat. Overall, great recipe. I will make again