Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Don't worry about the alcohol in the wine...it evaporates at a relatively low temperature, leaving only wonderful flavor. If you cannot source turtle meat, feel free to substitute chicken. From the Southern chapter of the US Regional Cookbook, Chicago Culinary Arts Institute, 1947.
- 1 1⁄2 cups diced fresh turtle meat
- 2 quarts beef stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 drops Tabasco sauce
- 1 egg white, hard cooked and finely chopped
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄3 cup sherry wine
- Combine first six ingredients together in stock pot.
- Bring to boiling point and cook until meat is tender.
- Remove bay leaf and mace; add egg white and season with salt and pepper.
- Add sherry after removing soup from heat.