Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is avocado halves covering cottage cheese mixed with green olives and onions and some avocado salsa. Kids love it! Great with grilled pork chops or grilled chicken.The kids said, "Mom, Mr. Turtle must have a head." Previously no head, feet or tail to poor Mr.Turtle so the kids put the olive for the head, and I went from there, and there you have it! Enjoy!
- 4 avocados, halved, pitted, peeled
- 1⁄2 cup lemon juice
- 6 large romaine lettuce leaves
- 3⁄4 cup cottage cheese
- 1⁄4 cup chopped pimento-stuffed green olives
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon picante sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt or 1⁄4 teaspoon salt substitute
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- Pour lemon juice in flat bottom dish and roll each avocado half in lemon juice. Place flat side down in dish. Sprinkle salt on the top of each half.
- In mixing bowl, take two halves and mash with picante sauce, add cottage cheese, green olives and onions. Mix well.
- Lay romain lettuce leaf on each of six plates.
- Take ice cream scoop and place a scoop of.
- cottage cheese avocado salsa in the middle of lettuce leaf. Take one avocado half and place over the mound of salad.
- Save the lemon juice to serve.
- Note: you can score the avocado half with a toothpick and make marks on the shell and place a large green olive in the front of the "shell" You can make little "feet" by taking the top of a green onion and making cuts to fan on each end of a 2 inch section.
- of green onion top, then cut the section in half and you have "four feet". You can take a small strip of pimento and cut in narrow pieces and tuck under the "shell" for a tail.
DELICIOUS!!! Forget the kids loving this....I won't share! The cottage cheese tones down the salsa, if you accidently use to harsh of a salsa like I did...oops. Pretty too. If you are short on time, Schwans sells frozen avocado 1/2s with salsa in the package. Simply defrost, mush up 2 of them, scrape the salsa off the others & use them for your shell. Thanks Mom!!!