1/2 Photos of Turtle Pie
Vicki Kaye's Note:
This is simply sublime. I believe this is lighter textured than the other turtle pies listed, because its cream base is whipped cream rather than evaporated milk or cream cheese. This calls for a homemade crust, but a store bought crust would not take away from its wonderfulness. My family has been treating me like a queen all week because of this little treat I sprung on them--I'm sure yours will too. This is from Southern Lady.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 236.59 ml semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 650.62 ml heavy whipping cream, divided
- 9 inch baked pie crusts (recipe follows)
- 236.59 ml firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 44.37 ml butter
- 2.46 ml vanilla extract
- 236.59 ml pecans, finely chopped
- 236.59 ml miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 118.29 ml melted caramel (can use a jar of caramel topping)
- 1In a small bowl, combine chocolate morsels and 1/4 cup cream. Microwave on High in 30 second intervals, stirring between each, until chocolate is melted and smooth (about 1 minute total). Spread chocolate mixture evenly over bottom of baked pie crust, set aside to cool completely.
- 2In a small saucepan, combine brown sugar, 1/2 cup cream, and butter over medium heat. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring completely, until sugar dissolves. Stir in vanilla; cool completely.
- 3In a medium bowl, beat remaining 2 cups cream at high speed with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form. Fold in brown sugar mixture. Spread cream mixture over top of chocolate in crust. Top with pecans, miniature chocolate chips, and melted caramel. Refrigerate for 8 hours.
- 4Pie Crust.
- 51 1/2 cups all-purpose flour.
- 61/2 teaspoon salt.
- 71/3 cup shortening.
- 8In a medium bowl, combine flour and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in shortening until mixture is crumbly. Add 4 tablespoons water, adding additional water as needed, stirring just until moistened. Form into a disk and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- 9Preheat over to 425 degrees. On a lightly floured surface, roll pastry to a 12-inch circle. Fit pastry into a 9-inch deep-dish pie plate. Trip excess pastry 1/2 inch beyond edge of pie plate. Fold edges under, and crimp. Prick bottom and sides of crust with fork. Bake for 15 to 18 minutes, or until lightly browned.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Turtle Pie
Serving Size: 1 (195 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 838.1
- Calories from Fat 581
- Total Fat 64.6 g
- Saturated Fat 31.8 g
- Cholesterol 123.5 mg
- Sodium 198.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 68.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.6 g
- Sugars 50.6 g
- Protein 6.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: