Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
This is a very rich dessert, so a small pie like this will serve 8.
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 cup corn syrup
- 4 tablespoons chopped pecans
- 4 tablespoons semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄4 cup whipping cream
- chopped pecans
- In a small bowl rub flour with 4 teaspoons sugar and 3 T. butter to make coarse crumbs.
- With a fork stir in 1 t. water-use a touch more if needed.
- Squeeze into a ball, then press into the bottom and 3/4 of the way up the sides of a buttered 6 inch wide cake pan with removable rim.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven until pastry is golden brown and firm when pressed, around 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl using a whisk blend remaining sugar, egg, corn syrup, vanilla, pecans, and chocolate.
- Pour into the warm crust and bake until the filling is set, about 30 minutes.
- Remove and let stand until cool-chill or serve warm with caramel sauce and nuts.
- Caramel Sauce: In a 2 quart pan over high heat combine the butter and sugar.
- Whisk quickly until sugar is melted and amber in color, around 3 minutes.
- Remove and add the whipping cream-this will sputter-whisking until smooth.
- Ladle over pie wedges and sprinkle with nuts.