Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
Chocolate and caramel go together nicely. One of my favourites.
- 1 cup butter or 1 cup hard margarine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups quick-cooking rolled oats
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 1⁄2 cups caramel ice cream topping
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- Melt butter with vanilla in large saucepan.
- Add rolled oats, 2 cups flour, brown sugar, baking soda and salt. Stir well. Press 2/3 in ungreased 9 x 13 inch pan.
- Sprinkle with chocolate chips.
- Stir butterscotch sauce and 1/4 cup flour together. Drizzle over chocolate chips. Sprinkle with remaining 1/3 rolled oat mixture.
- Bake in 350°F oven for about 25 minutes until golden brown. Cool. Cuts into 54 squares.
- Company’s Coming for Christmas.
I made these for my son-in-law who said they were very good. I'm giving them 4 stars instead of 5 because they were so difficult to cut out of the pan. I let them cool but they were still too soft to cut out of the pan so I put them in the fridge. The next day I felt as if I needed a chisel to get them out. My arm was sore from sawing away at them with a sharp knife but after 30 minutes of this, I succeeded. This is an extremely easy recipe but I would grease the pan first next time.