Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 mins
Great for making a head and keeping in the freezer for unexpected company!
Make and share this Turtle Ice Cream Cake recipe from Food.com.
- 1 3⁄4 cups flour
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup lightly packed brown sugar
- 1 cup oatmeal
- 1 cup margarine, melted, or use butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups caramel ice cream topping
- 8 cups vanilla ice cream, softened
- Combine first 5 ingredients and spread on a cookie sheet in a thin layer.
- Bake at 400 degrees until crumbs are golden.
- Check often to prevent it from burning!
- Crumble into 1-13 x 9 pan or 2-8x8 pans reserving some of the crumbs for the top.
- Drizzle 3/4 cup caramel sauce on top of crumbs.
- Scoop vanilla ice cream on top and spread evenly.
- Drizzle the rest of the caramel sauce and top with the reserved crumbs.
- Freeze until firm or overnight.
- If storing for an extended time, cover well to prevent freezer burn.
More like a apple crumb pie a la mode without apples. It would make more sense to call it "turtle" if it had chocolate in it too. It was kind of a hassle to make the crust, but it turned out really crunchy and good.
My teenage daughter thought this would be a good change from a typical birthday cake when we celebrated her last birthday. She never wants a "normal" birthday cake again. I used the same caramel sauce listed by another reviewer the second time I made this and thought it made it even better. We also used Schwans vanilla ice cream the second time and it also improved the cake, so don't skimp on the quality of the ice cream. We will make it again I'm sure!
I made this for my brother's birthday, and I thought it was really good, but a little sweet.