Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 4 hrs
Cook 30 mins
Plan ahead, these bars need to chill for 4 or more hours. Prep time includes chilling the squares.
Make and share this Turtle Chocolate Caramel-Pecan Squares recipe from Food.com.
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup butter, cut into pieces (preferably unsalted)
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 large eggs
- 3⁄4 cup flour, plus
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup mini chocolate chip (optional)
- 3⁄4 cup white sugar
- 1⁄3 cup light corn syrup
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1⁄3 cup heavy whipping cream (unwhipped)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 cups pecans
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Set the oven rack to the middle postion.
- Butter and flour a 9-inch baking pan (tap off excess flour in the pan).
- For the chocolate layer: In a heavy-bottomed saucepan, melt the chocolate and the butter over low heat, stirring until smooth; remove the pan from the heat, cool the mixture to lukewarm.
- Stir in the brown sugar and vanilla.
- Add in the eggs, one at a time, beating well with a wooden spoon, until the mixture is smooth and glossy.
- In a bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder and the salt; add to the chocolate mixture, beating JUST until the batter is combined well.
- Add in the mini chocolate chips (if using).
- Spread the batter evenly into the prepared baking pan.
- Bake in the middle of the oven for 30-35 minutes, or until the chocolate layer tests done.
- Cool completely on a rack.
- For the caramel-pecan layer: In a heavy-bottomed saucepan, bring the sugar, corn syrup, water and a Pinch of salt to a boil, over medium heat, stirring until sugar is dissolved.
- Then boil the mixture WITHOUT stirring, until the mixture turns a golden caramel.
- Remove pan from the heat, and carefully add the cream and vanilla (be careful, the mixture will bubble up, and steam).
- Stir in the pecans, and QUICKLY pour the mixture over the chocolate layer in the pan, spreading evenly.
- Drizzle melted chocolate over the caramel for garnish if desired.
- Chill the chocolate-caramel squares, loosely covered, until the caramel if firm (at least 4 hours).
- Cut into 16 squares.
- Let the squares come to room temperature before eating.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to 6 days.
I always love your recipes! Even with only one review I saw your name and new it would be good! Made it for a birthday at my husbands work and everyone loved it! I doubled the recipe to make 2 pans worth. My husband had to hide one pan to make sure I and the wife of the birthday guy would get to try some. Thanks for a great recipe!
Now were talking! This is my kind of dessert! This will definately quench your sweet cravings. Delicious!