4 hrs 30 mins
Plan ahead, these bars need to chill for 4 or more hours. Prep time includes chilling the squares.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 cup butter, cut into pieces (preferably unsalted)
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup flour, plus
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chip (optional)
- 1Set oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Set the oven rack to the middle postion.
- 3Butter and flour a 9-inch baking pan (tap off excess flour in the pan).
- 4For the chocolate layer: In a heavy-bottomed saucepan, melt the chocolate and the butter over low heat, stirring until smooth; remove the pan from the heat, cool the mixture to lukewarm.
- 5Stir in the brown sugar and vanilla.
- 6Add in the eggs, one at a time, beating well with a wooden spoon, until the mixture is smooth and glossy.
- 7In a bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder and the salt; add to the chocolate mixture, beating JUST until the batter is combined well.
- 8Add in the mini chocolate chips (if using).
- 9Spread the batter evenly into the prepared baking pan.
- 10Bake in the middle of the oven for 30-35 minutes, or until the chocolate layer tests done.
- 11Cool completely on a rack.
- 12For the caramel-pecan layer: In a heavy-bottomed saucepan, bring the sugar, corn syrup, water and a Pinch of salt to a boil, over medium heat, stirring until sugar is dissolved.
- 13Then boil the mixture WITHOUT stirring, until the mixture turns a golden caramel.
- 14Remove pan from the heat, and carefully add the cream and vanilla (be careful, the mixture will bubble up, and steam).
- 15Stir in the pecans, and QUICKLY pour the mixture over the chocolate layer in the pan, spreading evenly.
- 16Drizzle melted chocolate over the caramel for garnish if desired.
- 17Chill the chocolate-caramel squares, loosely covered, until the caramel if firm (at least 4 hours).
- 18Cut into 16 squares.
- 19Let the squares come to room temperature before eating.
- 20Store in the refrigerator for up to 6 days.
Browse Our Top Bar Cookie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Turtle Chocolate Caramel-Pecan Squares
Serving Size: 1 (1337 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 327.7
- Calories from Fat 183
- Total Fat 20.3 g
- Saturated Fat 8.5 g
- Cholesterol 45.2 mg
- Sodium 150.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 25.2 g
- Protein 3.7 g